Thursday, May 7, 2009

Flying High

Last weekend I completed my first half marathon since the start and now maintenence of chronic plantar fasciitis. I hate it, I mean really hate it. More than likely my foot will never feel 100% normal again unless I completely stayed off my feet for months and I hope to goodness that never becomes necessary!

Labor Day weekend of 2008 was my last race prior to this one and it was absolutely horrible. Wiggy and I were ready to go at the start aiming high for record times and the weather and the stress that we put on ourselves just killed us. I mean the muggiest grossest weather I've ever run in... we were slow and it was painful.... mentally, physically and especially on my foot. After that I sought treatment first through a podiatrist that just gave me cortisone shots, a night brace that doesn't work for people with high arches like myself, and really hard orthotics. The shots felt good for a few weeks then the pain came back much worse than before. I did some research and then went to my friend Keoni at the Naturopathic clinic in town for some acupuncture and cool laser therapy. After 6 weeks of no running, lots of stretching on a stair climber (allow foot to hang off back, works wonders) and the dreaded elliptical with the therapy I started feeling quite a bit better.

Through the winter months I was very cautious running just a few miles 3 x per week and one long run on the weekends. Starting in February I picked it up a bit running faster with an incline on the treadmill and 12 mile runs on Sunday (no time just running). I think this easy training paid off!

I arrived in High Point on Saturday morning to cloudy skies and said a quick prayer for no rain and no pain then was off. We'd gotten up around 5 which is normal for me. There was also very little hype around this race and I didn't really think about it as much more than a chance to get back into it. I was feeling great and realized at mile 7 that I'd been running 7 minute miles the entire way as I stayed right behind a guy that was running the full marathon barefoot, that's right barefoot. He even got a shout out in the paper the next day!

We split off from the full marathoners around mile 8 or so for 2 miles straight up hill. I had no one really running around me except one guy who kept walking then would run and pass me just to walk again... irritating. I still felt really strong and kept looking for my wonderful hubby and baby boy (Jasper) who were following me around the course. Finally at mile 12 I kicked it up a bit and finally passed the 10-year-old-looking boy that was just ahead of me the entire race. I finished with a PR of 1:34. 42! Good enough for 8th overall (an olympic gold medalist 52 year old FEMALE won), 4th female and won my age group. I must say I blew myself away. I am one of those people that does not impress herself easily, but I must say I was quite proud that morning!

Now I'm just trying to figure out what I did right! Is it time for the full thing? I think it might be but 26 miles is so freaking daunting! Anyway, I'm back... plantar fasciitis is under control and I'm very happy right where I am!

Thanks to Meghan for the margaritas and burgers to celebrate at her new house that evening... hit the spot!

2 comments:

Holly and Derek said...

Emily that is awesome and so stinking fast! Holy cow. I am totally impressed. I don't think people realize how fast that is for 13.1 miles! I have done a marathon so I can totally appreciate it! You kicked butt!

Page said...

Wow, that is great!!!!!!!!! Finishing a race and being proud of your time is such an amazing feeling.