Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reflections

Having had a week to let it sink in, I must say that I'm still a little shocked that Medical School is over. For me, the first 2 years drug on just a little, but the past 2 years have flown by. Wiggy and I got married two weeks before Medical School began. I must say that contrary to expectations, this experience has had no negative effects on our marriage. Quite the opposite in fact.

Medical school taught us patience, time management, and to appreciate the time that we have together. It taught us to dream big, to expect the unexpected, it taught us faith, to listen to our hearts rather than others opinions, it taught us to be unconventional, that difficult weeks or months come to an end, that we could be quite happy living on one income, that together we can accomplish anything. It taught us to appreciate eachother's strengths, how to best talk through things, it taught us patience, and to wait for answers. It provided us with wonderful steadfast friends that I am happy to say will be sticking around the Dash with us for a few more years.

These are not the things that I expected to learn from Medical School. Quite frankly I was a bit terrified of Medical School. As an only child I am quite independent, but I was quite weary that I would be living life as a single person with a studying body in the room upstairs. Of course those days and weeks happened, and I felt a twinge of self-pity now and then, but overall we have grown so much as a couple during these four years that I wonder where we may be without them.

Here we are at another crossroad... in a few short weeks Wiggy will be an Intern beginning his first month on an OB rotation. I have joked with him that his legacy of his first month will live on in the stories that the Mothers of the babies he delivers will tell them years from now... the stories about the young Dr. who seemed to have no idea what he was doing when he delivered them.... all jokes aside, I know my husband will be a wonderful Doctor. It is now time for me to go back to school so we can move closer to our dream of owning our own practice... we're not exactly sure what it will look like yet or exactly what type of medicine we'll practice... but in the meantime I better get started learning how insurance/staffing/liability/EMR etc. etc. etc. works.

Are we ready for the new stresses? Of course I wonder just as I did 4 years ago. But I've learned from those four years that we'll learn so much more and rather than only looking forward to the future, we will savor the next 3 years and soak them up. I will try to be better at remembering "Life is what happens while you're making other plans".

No comments: